St. Mary’s is fully accredited by two agencies that provide standards and procedures for school improvement: the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the Council of International Schools (CIS). WASC is one of six regional associations that accredit public and private schools, colleges, and universities in the United States and East Asia. CIS is a membership organization of international schools around the world.
Why is accreditation important?
“There are a number of benefits associated with the award of accreditation to a school, but the main aim of this evaluation programme is to provide an opportunity to improve the quality of the education offered at the school through a rigorous process of self-examination followed by an objective external appraisal by a team of peers.” From the CIS Guide to School Evaluation and Accreditation, 7th Edition
- The accreditation process assures a school community that a school’s mission is appropriate and being accomplished through a viable educational program.
- The accreditation process validates the integrity of a school’s program and student transcripts.
- Accreditation is a way to manage change through regular assessment, planning, implementation, and reassessment of the school’s curriculum and programs.
The accreditation process encourages teaching and learning focused school improvement through continuous self-study and peer visitor evaluations. The school reflects on areas of strength and areas for improvement then establishes and implements plans to help support high levels of achievement by students.
St. Mary's Accreditation Five Year Review
The CIS/WASC Five Year Review took place during the 2012–2013 school year. The review provided the structure for self-assessment in which we acknowledged our accomplishments and set goals for improvement. The protocol focuses on three ‘driving ideas’ which urge the school to be:
- Mission Driven and Vision Led (the importance of the school’s own Guiding Statements)
- Focused on Student Learning and Student Well-Being
- Committed to Internationalism/Inter-Culturalism to foster Global Citizenship
The Five Year Review was completed in March 2013 and a CIS/WASC Team Visit took place in April 2013.
Our efforts will help to ensure that St. Mary’s continues to provide quality educational experiences for all students. If you have any questions regarding the accreditation and school improvement process for our school, please contact any of the school administrators. See the results of the five-year review.