St. Mary’s International School is recruiting for the position of Laboratory Technician. Successful candidates must have a thorough and meticulous approach to their work as well as strong scientific and technical knowledge. Technician tasks involve supporting the work of science teachers and their students to ensure that they:
- make the best use of the time they spend in the laboratory;
- use equipment safely;
- accurately record the results of their work.
The technician role will mainly involve providing technical support to the high school and middle school, ensuring that equipment is functioning properly and is ready to use, and that the right materials are available for specific lessons. Laboratory technicians will work closely with students to explain or demonstrate experiments or how to use equipment, as well as helping teachers with classes and supporting individual students on important research projects. The technician will report to the Head of Science for training and guidance.
Technician tasks and responsibilities include:
- liaising with academic staff to discuss timetables, equipment requirements and work plans;
- running trials of experiments prior to classes and then demonstrating techniques for experiments;
- preparing equipment and chemicals before lessons — from test tubes to state-of-the-art microscopes;
- accurately making standard solutions and dilutions;
- maintaining and repairing equipment and laboratory apparatus;
- maintaining equipment stock and ordering consumable items such as glassware and chemicals;
- record keeping, e.g. for students’ practical sessions, tracking methods, results, etc;
- ensuring that equipment is properly cleaned and that chemicals, drugs and other materials are appropriately and safely stored;
- supporting the work of teachers in classes and laboratory sessions and giving technical advice to staff and students;
- working with individual students and supporting them on research projects;
- managing the stock control of chemicals and equipment;
- ensuring that all health and safety procedures are understood and followed correctly by students and teachers;
- coordinating work in the laboratory to ensure efficient use is made of expensive pieces of equipment.
- occasional involvement in school-wide activities, such as trips or other activities.
Applicants should have a Bachelor’s Degree with a strong background in science. Knowledge of chemistry and biology will be particularly useful for the position. Strong communication skills are required for the job, including good English skills, with a preference for candidates with some Japanese ability or fluency as well. Prior laboratory experience will be highly beneficial for applicants.