- School Hours
- Bell Schedule
- School Uniform
- Lunch and Recess
- Technology Use
- Laptop Selection
- Money and Valuables
- Afterschool Activities
- Emergency Kits
- All Middle School students should arrive at school each morning between 8 and 8:15 A.M. unless they are riding the bus. No students should be at school prior to 8 A.M.
- Students need to be seated or dressed for P.E. and ready to begin school promptly at 8:25 A.M.
- Students may go to the cafeteria for a snack but must be on their way home by 3:40 P.M. unless they are involved with an after-school activity.
- Students need to be off campus by 4:30 P.M. each day and must be under the direct supervision of a teacher until then. Students may work in the Learning Commons until 4:30 P.M.
- The school bus leaves promptly at 3:20 P.M.
New school uniform for 2021-22
In cooperation with the St. Mary’s Association, St. Mary’s International School has adopted a new uniform for the 2021-22 school year to improve consistency and presentation. After considering available options, we have selected Top of the Class, a domestic vendor which has worked with several international schools in Japan.
Top of the Class has produced this guide to the new school uniform, divided by school and season.
Please see these links from Top of the Class:
- Payment is accepted by Paypal or credit card
- The fitting specialist can answer questions about sizing
- Orders are shipped within one business day of payment, for delivery on the following day. Please find delivery information here.
- Finally, for exchanges or other questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
All ordering via the website is in English. Japanese language support is available by phone.
Required for 2021-22 yearbook picture day and other formal events
For the Middle School:
- One long-sleeved white shirt (with school logo)
- One solid navy tie
Other items that need to be purchased individually are:
- Black socks
- Black belt
- Black shoes
Shoes (sneakers/tennis shoes and dress shoes) should be all black. The soles and any logos should be solid black. No secondary colors are permitted.
2021-22 is a transition year
Recognizing that the uniform transition will impact families financially, the 2021-22 school year will be a transition in which students may continue to wear dress code items already purchased. Beginning August 2022, only uniform items purchased from Top of the Class will be permitted.
- All students must either bring a healthy lunch or buy a lunch in the cafeteria. Students cannot skip lunch or just eat junk food.
- Adding money to a student’s account should be done online or before school.
- Students must wait to be excused from the cafeteria and must go to the field unless they receive a permission slip before lunch to go to meet with a teacher.
- No food or drinks should be taken out of the cafeteria. Only water is allowed in the hallways at any time.
- Appropriate play is expected at recess.
- Devices can only be used under the direct supervision of a teacher.
- Cell phones can be brought to school for emergency purposes but if they are seen or if they are heard they will be taken until the end of the day. They should not be used in the hallway and students should wait to be off campus to access the internet on their phones.
- Devices cannot be used in the cafeteria after school.
- Students should not bring more than ¥1,000 to school for spending money.
- Apple watches, expensive earbuds and other expensive gadgets should be left at home.
- Backpacks should not be left in the locker room and should be brought to the student’s locker by their homeroom before going to P.E.
- All personal possessions should be labeled clearly.
- It is expected that students participate in afterschool activities at some level throughout the year.
- Students can participate in soccer, cross-country, swimming, drama, art and design club, robotics, Brain Bowl, Math Competitions, board games, basketball, wrestling, rugby club, baseball and track.
- It is important that students who are participating in these activities are getting enough sleep and are passing their classes.
In order to supplement our school emergency supplies, please prepare an emergency kit for your son. The kit will be stored in your son’s locker and used if needed in case of a long-term stay at school. The kit must be taken home in June and should then be replenished for the following year.
The kit should contain the following:
- Two 500ml bottles of water,
- Two non-perishable snacks,
- One rain poncho (¥100 store type),
- One cloth or plastic carry bag labeled with your son’s name.